Follow by Email

Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Button's Galore - Mother's day plaque

This is how this plaque started out, as you can see, I spent a whooping $.50 cents on the "before" plaque.

This is the finished plaque, I started to paint the frame a lighter color, but I was afraid it would wash out the color of the button accents.  I made this plaque as a Mother's Day gift for my mom. I intend to hand write "Love Penny" inside the top heart, but since my handwriting stinks, I thought I'd better take a photo of it first! I hand cut the letter's "I" , "U" , and bottom heart, and then backed them with tan cardstock.  After finishing it I realized that I should have dropped down the lace a  bit, but it was too late by then, and I was out of glue dots! LOL The "gems" in the corners are actually clothing studs, with bend over tabs, that I just hammered directly into the wood. I love them and purchased them at a "flea market" like store, so I can't reorder, anyone know a source? 
The right hand "M" looks odd in the photo, but is fine in person, I think it must have been the camera angle, or the glue dots moved as I was handling it to take a photo of it.  If I did this project again, I think I'd try and hand draw out the word before applying the buttons over the top of them, in order to get an overall better letter shape, or style. I also added a lace bow to the top hanging bracket, that is not pictured.
Love Penny
P.S. Be sure and check out the following web sites: Scrap Your Crap, a site that helps you scrap the stuff you already own! What a great idea! http://scrapyourcrap.blogspot.com/ 
Another great site is:
Best place to order buttons from:
Have fun crafting! Love Penny


Pin It!

8 comments:

Kim Sonksen said...

What a beautiful plaque - your Mom will love it!
Thanks for joining us at SYC

Dana Tatar {datatar} said...

Beautiful plaque Penny! Thanks for playing along with Scrap Your Crap!

Renee said...

wonderful creation! way to use up some buttons, very pretty. Thanks for playing with us over at SYC.

Kate Vickers said...

Great project! Thanks for joining us at SYC!

Martine said...

very cool way to use up some buttons! thanks for joining us at SYC!

scrappergrl said...

Very sweet gift for your mom!! She is going to love it!! Thanks for playing with us at Scrap Your Crap!!

jelaines said...

what a clever idea Penny! I'll have to try that one.

jennaroo said...

So pretty!