Follow by Email

Friday, May 18, 2012

Hello, are you in there?  + Starting Point Blue Flower
Hello ladies, I going to start a new daily theme on my blog that will change with each day , but will be repeated monthly, and today's theme is :
"Hello, are you in there?" 
This theme is to remind us to take photos of things that are special in our lives, at least until we can find the time to scrapbook them.  For me it's this: 
For those of you who are not old enough to recognize them, it's my really old collection of "Nancy Drew"  mystery books, from my childhood.   (Yeh, I know my book shelf needs painting, trust me it's on my "to do" list but it's way down there.) I have a lot to "thank" these books for, because they actually taught me how to read.  When I was in 2nd grade my mother married a military man, and from then on we moved, a LOT.  During these moving periods, it was easy for myself, and my brother's to fall behind in school. (Except for my gifted brother Joel, who never studied at all, and had almost straight A's, his whole life, even through college.  I followed him in school, and had to tell more than one of his teacher's, when it was time for me to be in their class, that I was NOT my brother! LOL ) At any rate it was after one of these major moves that my mother bought me my first "Nancy Drew Mystery".  From then on I was hooked, and read as many as she could afford to buy me.  They truly helped me to become a more proficient reader, at a time in my life when I was lagging behind other students my age. I don't have the whole collection, but I have collected most of them, and even though some are torn and tattered, they will always hold a special place in my heart.  If you have something that fit's today's theme be sure and include a link in my comment section, so we can all take a look at it. 

Now on to today's starting point
Starting point - Blue flowers






This started out as a full sheet of the light blue, then I added the 2 - 6 x 6 squares of the yellow patterns. Next I added the zig zag divider strips, and stapled them in place. The flowers used on the page and the tag, are die cuts. I loved the eyelash yarn on this tag, and the overall colors on this layout. As with most of my pages this tag is not glued down. Happy Scrapping! Love Penny
Pin It!

13 comments:

TracieClaiborne said...

I also collect Nancy Drew!!!! I read Trixie Belden growing up - did you ever read that? Then when I got grown, I bought all of those used at Goodwills and used stores because my books were accidentally given away in a move. Then I decided to start reading Nancy (as a grown-up) and I love those too. I buy them new and have about 56, I think. I re-read both of those sets over and over. Love 'em!!

Madeline said...

Wow...what a great collection! I loved to read Nancy Drew books, but most of mine came from the library...and I had to return them. ;)

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

Such a wonderful collection of books, Penny. I don't collect them but I sure remember reading them as a kid. Today there is a series called Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew which is aimed toward younger kids. Alexa read some of them years back and has enjoyed some of the classic books as well. Such a nice trip down memory lane. Thank you! Oh, and I love your fresh new page and the zig zag borders. Very pretty!

Mary Jo Rhoda said...

Pretty colors on the "starting point" patterned paper!

I loved Nancy Drew and have quite a few myself, but not as many as you. What a great collection!
My grandma also bought me the Bobbsey Twin mysteries. Did you ever read any of those? And Trixie Belden :)

Connie Mercer said...

What a great collection~love the starting point colors of blue!!! Sweet!!!

soapHOUSEmama said...

That is a fabulous photo of a fabulous collection! Love it! And, your starting point is great :)

Lynn Murphy said...

Your Nancy Drew collection is making me swoon. I had one but somewhere in many moves they were lost. I love that page very fun and retro!

Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more said...

I love books, something about holding a real one while you read is so nice.

robindefender said...

Ah, good old Nancy Drew! That really brings back memories.

Mary Pat Siehl said...

oh penny! i loved nancy drew and the hardy boys! what wonderful memories of being little and reading these awesome books-- what a great collection

Staci said...

Wow! That's a great collection, Penny!

Patricia said...

That photo brings back such memories! I loved the Nancy Drew/Hardy boys!

betsy (pharmgirl) said...

I loved Nancy Drew too but didn't save a single book! Love your starting point layout!