Follow by Email

Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Homecoming 1945 - Frugal Scrapbooking
This layout features my mother's first cousin Jay Jr. when he came home from the war.  This was a popular pose for returning servicemen so they could show off their Honorable Discharge papers, and express their joy at returning home alive!

The journaling reads:
"Homecoming 1945, Honorable Discharge! Like many servicemen being discharged Jay Sharpe Jr. had this photo taken to express his joy at finally being able to return home. "


You will have to excuse the blurred lettering as this was my very first attempt to print on a transparency.  I promise I will get better at it, however for a first try it ain't too shabby! From what I have since read you can get a better result by adjusting your printer to a transparency setting or a low / economic ink setting which uses less ink, and therefore produces less blurring. 

Some of my frugal tips on this layout also include fake "dog tags" that I stole from my grandson's GI Joe.  Shhhh.......I didn't tell him, he thinks he lost it! 

The stars surrounding the "1945" are really little girl's hair barrettes! They already had the look of aged brass so they fit in perfectly with this military themed layout. 

The supplies used were:
Cardstock
Transparencies
Eyelets
The stars are really little girl's barrettes
Dog tags, were removed from a child's doll.

Happy Scrapping! Love Penny 


Pin It!

6 comments:

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

So cool that you have this photo, Penny! The black really pops. Such a wonderful tribute!

Linda Beeson said...

I like it, great photo.

soapHOUSEmama said...

This is wonderful! I love that photo and the use of girl's barrettes is fabulous!!!

Tracy said...

This is such a great layout!!
I love that picture :)

Suzanne B. Webb said...

What a great nostalgic photo,wonderful page!

Mary Pat Siehl said...

simply wonderful!